[RC] Tevis and barefoot horses - Kim Richman

Hello-

I am curious if any horses in the Tevis cup this past weekend were barefoot and if so what type of boots did they use? I started and my horse is barefoot and we used the epics. Unfortunately I had to pull at Francisco's due to a lameness. From what I could tell his lameness was not down in his hooves but was in his rear end. I had an accident w/ him about a month ago and he still had a small open wound which may have contributed to some of the lameness. However, my gut tells me that the real reason why I had to pull is because he had a mild tie up. I feel the tie up was due to all the alfalfa he had at the vet checks crews were not allowed at. I didn't see any grass hay offered, only alfalfa. This horse has not had alfalfa in 4 1/2 yrs.

Susan G, I had a blood panel pulled on him and his AST was 603 and CK was 2974. Would these levels be considered a mild tie up?

BTW, this is the same horse that I posted about, about possibly being over conditioned. I think we did a pretty darn good job at making it as far as we did.

Thanks
Kim