Re: [RC] LDs bad - Truman Prevatt

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Diane Roby diane_roby2002@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was interested in the comment "even watching in the pasture ...this is a 100 mile horse".

If you could take a look and detect superior athletic potential - scouts would be out of work for college programs.

Fact is you can tell build, size, etc. and mate it to a notion you have. But where the rubber meets the road is where the rubber meets the road. Many a people have looked at the Jbird and thought he would be a great 100 mile horse. We've had several offers -some pretty nice ones - for him over time. Little did they know what I knew. I should have probably taken their offer and let them find out. On the other hand he would have come out the worse for that so I still have him.

It can even be a crap shoot in trying to predict how well an athlete will do when they step up a notch, from high school to college, college to the pros, etc. Same is true for horses. Even in an equine sport like racing, with all the understanding of the blood lines and the experience of the trainers - you still have horses coming from "off the wall" to dominate. There are two many 70,000 dollar horses owned by a gang of friends (Aflet Alex, Funny Cyde, Sunday Scilence, and of course lets not for get Seabiscuit ) beating too many 2,000,000 dollar horses in the big races to believe that there are qualities deep down in the horse that we have yet to be able to quantify. That's in a one dimensional sport - endurance is a multidimentional sport.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics