[RC] Re; Watering - Jim & Drin Becker

April wrote
"I am planning to drain my water troughs and teach my horse to drink
from a bucket when offered. I don't want to hurt him, obviously, but I
think this will be more effective in the heat of the summer.

How often do I have to offer water? Will offering water twice a day be
sufficient? Every 12 hours or there abouts? If he doesn't drink for 2
days, should I freak out or just keep on? (He does get soaked beet
pulp 2x daily amounting to 1+ gallon of water per day; plus he's on
pasture with a large hole that has water after it rains.)"

April I do not know why more people don't take your approach to training horses to drink out of anything and everything . I start this program when the foal is born actually by hauling water to "mom" with different buckets everyday . I continue on at weaning time and everytime I bring that foal/yearling/horse in to work I am always watering them out of something different . I have had new horses go as long as 4 days without water (BLM 2 year old) until they finally
gave in and drank . They will drink , some just take longer than others . I have a friend who can't figure out why her horse won't drink at ridecamp before the ride , mainly because all she waters out of at home is automatic waterer's , her horses have known nothing else and they all have a problem staying hydrated before a ride . I really don't think you need to offer the water , just put some buckets in and when he drinks well out of them start changing things around . But I would make the buckets your only water source so he has no other choice . To me it is just a common sense approach to training before you get to a ride .
Drin Becker
Mtn Region