Re: [RC] [RC] LDs "bad" for horses - Truman Prevatt

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 7/27/2005 7:42:51 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes: The issue is not the distance it is the pacing.

...and, how it relates to the horses conditioning. As the level of conditioning increases, the pace (should) be able to be increased. If the horse exhibits some bio-mechanical or perturbation in metabolic efficiency as the pace increases, the "program" or horse need to be looked at more closely. Truman continues by saying: "There is nothing wrong with the 25 mile distance. It is the way it is used." Another valid and profound statement. Frank

Many people use 40 mile CTR's to step up the distance and then 3 day 100's to step up the distance. The beauty of these events is the pacing is set and consistent. It hammers it into the horse and rider. It is great training for both. The interesting thing is the classical 3 day 100 mile CTR is based on the cavalry. It is not a race - but a test of the horse's fitness for the US Army.

Last year Becky Siler - who had never done a 100 mile endurance ride in her life took Cowboy Ed's mustang, George, who had never done a 100 before out to the Tevis. In fact Becky had done very few endurance rides prior to doing the Tevis. She had 155 miles before the Tevis those came in 2004 as she was getting ready.

They finished and both look great at the end. How? Becky is one of the best CTR riders in FL. She has been at it for years (in order to keep from getting killed the next time I see Becky I won't say how long ;-) ). Becky has done most of the classic 3 Day 100 CTRs, Florida, Virgina, North Carolina and maybe Vermont (but I'm not sure on that one). Becky knows pacing and she paced George perfectly throughout the day and across the finish line. Her pacing was so consistent you could have set your watch by it.

After Becky trained George, he came back and got Ed through, Ed's first 100.

I certaintly don't think CTR is the only way to bring a horse along for endurance. But for the new rider, riding a new horse it is a very good option IMO to do some CTR. In fact before I saw Cowboy Ed show up at an endurance ride I saw him showing up at CTR's.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics