RE: [RC] [RC] LDs "bad" for horses - heidi

In a message dated 7/27/2005 7:42:51 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes: The issue is not the distance it is the
pacing.

...and, how it relates to the horses conditioning.
As the level of conditioning increases, the pace (should) be able to be
increased.
If the horse exhibits some bio-mechanical or perturbation in metabolic
efficiency as the pace increases, the "program" or horse need to be looked at
more closely.

Truman continues by saying:  "There is nothing wrong with the 25 mile
distance. It is the way it is used."

Another valid and profound statement.

Frank

It may be profound, but it is not complete.  As you say, Frank, it
relates to conditioning.  But it also relates to natural talent.  It
takes three years to completely "make" a horse, and it does work better
if you spend part of that time "competing."  So you take the horse on a
25-miler, and you ride the pace you ought to ride because he isn't
really fit yet.  But what happens?  This pace is so boring to him at
this distance, if he is really talented, that pretty soon he is bored
with the whole idea.  He may be well-trained, so he behaves himself,
but basically, he just gets sour about the whole thing.  You've got two
choices, for his sake--either speed up or increase the mileage.  I
personally don't think that "speed up" is the right answer.  I'd rather
see that less-than-fit-to-his-potential horse go on to 50s.  And in some
cases, he needs to start with 50s.

So, for that sort of horse, if one is to take Truman's statement
literally, it would mean that one simply would not use it at all.

Additionally, it IS a valid point that horses who continally do LDs
don't learn to take care of themselves.  They don't have to!  Going
farther is an important part of their education.  It takes a lot less
time for a horse to learn if he starts right out on 50s, so that the
next ride he says, "DANG!  I might get thirsty out here!  I'd better
drink while I've got the chance!"  For many horses, this is learned far
faster and far more thoroughly if they don't already have the 25-mile
notion ingrained.

So sure, there is nothing "wrong" with the distance--but before we say
that it is just how it is used, I think people need to understand the
implications of using 25s for green horses, and need to understand
their own horses so that they can make wise choices.  Again, 25s are
primarily for people--and thank goodness they are there so that we can
ride them when we need them!--but I still maintain that most horses are
better off started on 50s.

Heidi