[RC] intro rides - firedancefarms

We used to do 17 mile introductory rides at Cougar Prowl.  The one requirement was that you could never have (even started) a 25 mile or a 50 mile ride.  This was very successful.  Not only did it get many riders to become AERC riders, they all felt they were in the same boat, as all of them were complete newbies.  Our vet would give a special talk to them, and they felt very welcomed.  We are having a real lack of new riders in our area, and I think I will bring back the introductory ride.  One of the main drawbacls I hear from people who would like to try the sport, is the high cost of the entry, so my introductory ride is only $20.  They go through a vet check just like everyone else, and they get the same completion award.  By not allowing previous AERC riders to ride the ride, you not only avoid the "drop down" problem, but I think the newbies feel more comfortable.

OTOH, we have a ride in Sept called MOVIN ON UP and that is exactly what it is.  It is a 50 only and we encourage previous 25 milers to "move on up" to the higher distance.  They even get a special plaque if this is their first 50!

Louise

Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms