[RC] RC] To Lucy Trumbell Tevis Radio broadcast info - Gloria Adams - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

...I am a HAM radio operator & would love to be able to listen to the Sweep riders. I understand the HAM radio Southwestern Cactus Intertie system is used ­ it covers Utah, AZ, CA, NV, NM - (& is actually closed down for that day, except for the Tevis & the human runners)...

Knowing little to nothing about radio operation, I
forwarded your post to the radio folk and received
the following response:

Gloria,

If you are in receive range of the Tahoe, Squaw Peak, and/or Bald Mt. sites, you are free to listen.  The Laws of Physics force us to allow that (and we don't really care anyway), and many crews and families/friends do monitor.  Please understand however, that this is UHF radio, it is sort of line-of-sight, the terrain in the Sierra Nevada is extremely rugged, and thus RF propagation at these frequencies is pretty much unpredictable.  Trust me, however, several hundred miles is really unlikely.

The three sites may or not be linked together at any given time, and that status changes as circumstances in the event change.  You will find the 440 Remote frequencies in your 2005 Cactus Operations Manual.  We request that you do not transmit, and especially do not attempt to control any of the three sites.  During the event, Bald, Squaw, and Tahoe will carry some but not all of the event traffic.  Other segments of traffic are carried on other UHF and VHF systems.

During the event, the links from these three sites into the Cactus Intertie network are mastered off.  The Cactus Intertie is NOT "closed down for the day" as you stated.  First, we could not tolerate stations from eight states covering a third of the area of the United States transmitting into the event network.  Second, the traffic on the three sites used for the event is remarkably heavy and would tie up the entire Cactus Intertie network, again over eight states and about 1/3 of the US.  Aside from the fact that it would be a gross violation of 47CFR97, it would be extraordinarily discourteous to the many hundreds of Cactus/Dillo folk out there in the Southwest and Texas who have no interest in the Tevis but would like to use their system.

All three sites used for this event belong to the Northern California Cactus Radio Association (formerly the SRA and Pendulum), and it is these affiliates of the Intertie who support this event (and the Western States Endurance Run), and have for a number of years.

If you wish to follow a particular rider, or possibly track the front runners, I suggest you visit <www.foothill.net/tevis> and go to the real-time webcast.  Please understand:  No one will (or can) stop you from listening to the event traffic on your UHF/VHF receiver(s).  To do so you must be within range of the sites in question.  Whether or not the event traffic is heard on the Cactus Intertie is a matter for each affiliate to determine, and the answers over the years for events such as these, emergencies, and other situations in which parts of the Intertie are dedicated to a specific event, is a resounding "No."

I hope this helps.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw
NCCRA

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-