Re: [RC] more 100 milers? - rdcarrie

Dot brings up some really good points  Regarding the "fun", or intro rides...I definitely agree that they should not be integrated into AERC records, etc.  But they *can* be a good way to introduce new folks into the sport.  We took the plunge into ride mangement this past spring and put on a 2 day ride, with a 25/50 each day, as well as a 15 mile intro ride each day.  The intro ride was run the same as the 25, with a pre- and post-ride vet check, etc.  Intro riders got completion t-shirts, same as the 25 and 50 milers.  In addition, each day we put that day's intro riders' names into a hat and drew a name - that person won a free, non-transferable, entry to next year's ride - to the 25 or 50.  :)  Several intro riders each day commented that they had a blast and were hooked, and didn't realize how easily their horse could cover 15 miles...and plan to condition for their first 25.  And the winners of each day's drawing hope to use it next year.  So our intro ride did what we hoped...got some people to try the sport, and showed them that it was fun and not as out of reach as they may have thought.  Who knows...hopefully some of these people will go on to do 50s or more.

Dawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Dot Wiggins <dotwgns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERCMembersForum <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:07:29 -0600
Subject: [RC] more 100 milers?

The demographics of AERC's riders has changed quite a bit since the "'good
old days"
Then most of the members/riders were already experienced horsemen/women.
Many were riding and working with horses most of the time.  They knew how to
ride, select horses for the work, and see that the horse was ready for the
efforts asked.  Starting on 50's, or even 100's was well with in range for
most.
Today we have many who have ridden very little, or at least not for years,
live where it is difficult to find places to ride, and have life/work issues
that conflict with reaching goals on horseback.
One way to get a larger number of riders that may go on to longer distances
is to increase the pool to draw from.     That can be a accomplished by
encouraging folks to come out and ride at any distance.   I know quite a few
people that first came to a "'fun" ride and got hooked.   Some have become
pretty successful at the longer distances, including 100s.

I certainly don't want the "fun" rides to be integrated into AERC records or
awards.  I'm not sure it's even a good idea to list them on sanctioning
forms.   But they are what they are often called, introductory events and
serve a valid purpose.

The more riders we showcase the sport of endurance to, the more potential
long distance riders will be out there.   They have to start somewhere.