[RC] Tevis Questions, Tevis Coverage - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Lif Strand:
Can anyone describe what the Tevis trail conditions were like this year, which no doubt contributed to relatively slow times and low completion?

Firstly, I can say that the trail was "clear" from
start to finish - this in itself is a HUGE undertaking,
as anyone who has ever done any trail clearing can
attest. There was reportedly one short snowbank to
cross, which I don't believe caused any problems.
The "bogs" were not reported to be too bad, the rocks
were as normal, "present".

The temperatures were in the 90s most of the day and
it was a little muggy at times. At Foresthill and
occasionally at Michigan Bluff, there was a slight
breeze that, whilst it probably didn't reach the
riders down in the canyons, did help keep the crew
people and volunteers from absolutely baking. The
heat can really wipe me out at times, and it didn't
seem "too bad" this year (of course this is all relative -
Dana B and I were talking last Tuesday and saying that
"today seems much cooler" - the temperature was 97
instead of 102.)

In the evening, it cooled off, but didn't get
dramatically cold. I think this probably helped
horses down at Francisco's (on the river) which
is a notorious spot for having horses stiffen up
if they stay too long to eat.

I have no idea why the completion rate was so
low. It may be just "one of those things".

Quoting MARY VISCO <mfvisco@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Does anyone know who won the Haggin cup? I don't know since I didn't stay for the awards, but I thought Hal Hall's horse (Bogus Thunder) looked fabulous and so did the horse that Michele Roush rode (Cayenne)...
  Both those horses did look fabulous, and I suspect that was what the implication was when they came to announce the winner - they said something about the vets being divided and that the final choice was not a unanimous decision - I have a suspicion that both horses were almost equal in the running (I even wondered at one point if they would award it to two horses). Bogus Thunder (Hal Hall's horse) is a very low-key kind of guy which I think works against him when it comes to BC-type judging. He looks wonderful, but he never really *sparkles* and looks flamboyant the way some horses do (and this is probably what makes him such a good and consistently-performing horse). Cayenne, OTOH, *did* have that extra impulsion and flair. Among the other top-ten finishers was Jazon Wonder's "good horse" Milarepa (aka "Mikey"). Although he didn't show for BC, he looked wonderful at the finish. Mikey is 18 years old, so to finish so well in the field at his age is a testament to how good he is, and how well Jazon was able to ride/manage him. Jazon owns another past Haggin Cup winner, Ravi Das, who was ridden by Elise Geske. Elise rode "Socks" again this year and finished 29th. Spare a thought for Carl Bruno, who I believe was pulled at the finish line, after coming in 8th. This wasn't reported on the webcast, as we didn't get this information at that time. A note on the Auburn Journal article: Right at the end of the article it talks about Potato Richardson riding his stallion "Garcon". Potato was actually riding Chuck Center's gelding, Tychos Comet. After their fall (I believe in the high country - certainly prior to Michigan Bluff when I saw him) the horse did have some good scrapes on him, so Potato did well to get him as far as he did.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lucy Chaplin Trumbull elsietee AT foothill DOT net Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=