[RC] alfalfa/behavior - oddfarm

Chris said.
"-- and the last batch was better- an orchard grass/alf mix?..YAY!!"

Well Chris, I don't know what you think is in the Alfalfa that makes horses so foul, but orchard/alfalfa can be just as rich. My last batch of orchard/alfalfa that came from Ohio was 23% protein. It was 3rd cutting. My hay guy always sends an analysis of the hay I buy, (I buy  it by the truckload) so I know what I am getting. I have gotten 1st cutting alfalfa that was 18% protein.

I have gotten coastal that was 12% protein which surprised me. It was however a second cutting, no weeds, smelled delicious and had a beautiful color.  It was also very soft and fine stemmed which the horses adore! Just like the Alfalfa!!

So you really need to know WHAT is in your hay before you can blame it for behavior problems. Almost all  I feed is hay. A few get Equine Sr. or Jr. or Ultium depending on riding conditions but mostly hay. Out of 8-10 horses at any given time eating some pretty rich Orchard/alfalfa I can say that none of them have had any "behavioral" problems. Loony Lance doesn't count cause that is the way he came to me (plus he had a concussion and we don't know what the dain bramage was, who could tell?) and Odie the bi&%$ doesn't count cause that's just who she is. ;)

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm

PS The mare Charlotte is home. Her eye was saved, but will never work. The eyeball itself has shrunk a little, is a tad deformed and the bottom lid droops and forms a pocket although for the right price, I am sure plastic surgery is an option. The good news is she will never need therapy to get over her "bad" eye 'cause she will never see it!! If you see her in line at a ride, don't point, stare or snicker. If you do.....YOU pay for the shrink! The new wing at Gainesville is called the Mucho Dinero Wing, 'cause that is what we paid for it. (:o NO! It is a sight for sore eyes! :)