Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:19 PM
Subject: [RC] Trailer question: Lifting trailer

Please Reply to: Diane Farnsworth dfarnsworth@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello

I have an Exiss trailer with torsion suspension. The bed of my new 4x4 truck is higher than my old truck, so now the front of the trailer is too high. The trailer cannot be leveled and the weight is on the back axel. Also, the back rubber bumper on the trailer is only about 5 inches from the ground and I see it as problematic when going off road. Obviously this is not going to work for long term hauling. Has anybody else had this problem? If so, what did you do to remedy it? BTW, there is no more room to adjust the gooseneck. Some things I'm looking into are:

Having air lifts put on - so far I can't find anybody that will do that to a trailer because of liability issues.

Having lifts welded on - this is what I've been advised to do by several people, but not sure what effect it will have on the torsion suspension.

I do plan to trade out the 15" wheels for 16" wheels at some time, but it only adds an inch and I'm looking at raising the trailer about 4 inches.

I hope somebody out there has some experience with this, it's a bit discouraging. Thanks for the help.

Diane