[RC] Feeding/riding issue - sandy rovane

I have recently moved and due to the weather and lack of storage I have been forced to buy hay locally.  It is mostly and usually alfalfa.  I usually feed grassy alfalfa, oat or grass hay.  Anyway, I have not been riding much either.  When I do ride, my usually very controllable horse bucks anytime he can't get his way.  PS because of the cold I have also been giving him one scooper of Equine Senior 1 #.  Do you think it is a feeding issue.  He is in shape having completed 4800 miles of endurance to date mostly multi day rides.  Any thoughts?