From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lysane Cree
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 6:33 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Horse digestion and Beet pulp

If feeding soaked beet pulp every day is not feasible, would it be harmful to feed a handful of dry beet pulp with hay cubes to get the horse used to beet pulp?
My horse's general routine is that in the winter she is outside all day eating hay and comes in at night to get a bucket of hay cubes (timothy) and a handful of grain and some more hay). In the summer she outside 24 hrs a day and does not get anything extra if she is not working. When I do start competing with her she will have to have a little more than just hay, so I am wondering about beet pulp. I would probably only feed it during ride season (I'm boarding my horse so soaking beet pulp all the time can be difficult, especially with my own work hours).
The other alternative might be forgetting about beet pulp and feeding a complete feed that is beet pulp based - I forget the exact name but it resembles the feed that is known as "Complete Advantage" in the U.S.

Lysane