Re: [RC] the good and bad of alfalfa? - heidi

So I was wondering if you could help me understand about alfalfa.
Someone   here just posted that alfalfa helps reduce the acidity in the
horse's gut. How   does this work?

I hear so many different things about hays. Some people say alfalfa is
too   rich and causes indegestion, ect. Some say grass is the only way
to go, and  feed  it free choice. And then I hear of those who say they
feed alfalfa hay in   the winter time because it creates more heat.
I am not sure of which thing to do so I basically feed nearly all grass
hay   and a little mixture of alfalfa and grass at night (which my
horses promptly   pick through and eat only the alfalfa...)-

First of all, consider what is in alfalfa in high quantities--protein and
calcium.  During the digestion process, the breakdown of the chemical
bonds in proteins releases heat.  In the winter, this is a GOOD thing.  In
the summer during an athletic event where one of the main problems is how
to get RID of too much body heat, this is a BAD thing.  So alfalfa is far
better suited to being a winter feed than to being something to feed
horses in heavy athletic work situations.  Also, the fermentation process
in the hindgut is good at producing energy--so free feeding ANY forage in
the winter is preferable to meal feeding, but free feeding alfalfa in
extreme cold gives the added advantage of the "heat of digestion"--the
heat described above from the chemical breakdown of the protein.

Many horses in a maintenance situation will do just fine with straight
grass hay even in cold weather, as long as they get enough of it.  And of
course, in view of the above, grass hay is preferable as the main staple
for an athlete in warmer weather.

The calcium in alfalfa can also be a problem if free-fed in summer to an
athlete.  It can cause the body to not make enough parathormone to be able
to mobilize calcium in times of stress.  On the other hand, a little bit
of alfalfa can work as a natural calcium supplement during and after
rides, when there is apt to be a greater need for calcium--so it can be
used as a supplement at those times, even if it is not used as a primary
forage source.

Additionally, the extra protein in alfalfa can be handy when feeding
lactating mares and youngsters, who have a higher need for
protein--usually straight alfalfa is too rich, but again, some can be used
as a supplemental feed.

Also, what are the smart guidelines in terms of feeding on a, say,
25-mile   ride? How do you guys figure this out the first time around?
:)-

Partly by listening to people who have already done it.  :-)  Feed plenty
of forage (preferably grass hay), and if you don't normally feed it free
choice, you likely want to do that for a few days preride.  Make sure the
horse always has hay available in camp, and feed liberally at the vet
check.  You shouldn't be racing on your first several rides anyway, so you
have time to see how your horse does.  If he is nervous and not wanting to
eat, take your time and give him ample opportunity.

Heidi