[RC] Mind games - or baby, it's cold out there. - Laura Hayes

So now that the thermometer is in the single digits here in Western New York, and my girls and their barn mates are tucked away in our cozy 200 year old stone barn where the water buckets don't even freeze, thick with winter hair and off season 'chub', eating the overly expensive hay I drive hundreds of miles to pick up and sucking up all the warm beet pulp we can lug from the house - it is MY turn to get in shape.

I have gained weight like 'fat was a crop' this winter, and have vowed to take it off and more before we head east and then west on our whirlwind tour of the four biggest 100s this country has to offer.

While running and walking my morning hour on the treadmill at the gym today, looking out the window at Dunkirk Harbor and Lake Erie in the snowfall, I thought about what I needed to do to get in tip top shape.  At 44 I am not the girl I once was, and I want to do all I can to help my mares through the tough miles I have planned for them (OD, BH, Tevis and Swanton).

One strategy I have is to be able to walk, up hill, for at least 4 or 5 miles, at the same rate that my older mare, Equal Terms walks.  Since I rode with a GPS for many miles last summer on XP04, I know that while I am mounted, she will travel 4.7 mph up and down all day without breaking into a trot.  Adding three tenths of a mph, for being unencumbered by my blob, and because I like round numbers, I am working at 5mph with an incline of 3%, which is the highest the treadmill goes.  As I do this, I picture in my mind the canyons at Big Horn, and the rocky, narrow mountain trails at OD- the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and my horse feels great. I picture every step making me stronger and more able to help my horse.

In the evening workout, which I share with my husband, I RUN at 2% incline and am shooting for three miles in less than 30 minutes.  Shoot- it HURTS!!!  While I am running I picture one of my good bay mares (either one is ok!) cantering across the finish line at OD, galloping through a flower filled meadow at BH, or trotting across No Hands Bridge at Tevis.  I think of Cindy Collins wonderful description of BH and the friends I am going to meet there to ride with this year.  It keeps me going!

'All I Wanna Do Is Ride' - that is what the scrolling marquees on my screensaver has said for years, and ride I did, last summer- in 8 states and two countries--the thoughts of that will get me through this cold winter, and the mind games I compete in will get me through each workout.

Stay warm and dry-

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY