Re: [RC] girth sores - Barbara McCrary

I have a chestnut horse with thin skin, and after discovering girth galls from a string girth, I changed to a Wintec waffle girth (whatever it's made of) and also set it on the two rear billets rather than the two front ones.  Haven't had a girth gall since. This is on a traditionally rigged English saddle.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] girth sores

Try Neoprene.  If your mare is not one of the sensitive ones it will solve the problem.

I have never had a horse with a Neoprene problem, but there are some that can't stand it.

 By the way, Wintec girths are PVC not Neoprene.  I just replaced mine one ride to late.  After a number of years, the PVC lost plasticizer and got stiff enough to gall Ranger.  I switched back to Neoprene.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875