Re: [RC] TWH/lope/gallop - Mary Ann Spencer

AMEN to you and thank goodness for PARELLI.  I am studying Parelli and have made PROGRESS with just a few of the beginning Level ONE.   mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] TWH/lope/gallop

This reminds me of the most frightening experience I've ever had on a horse.  Many years ago, I was "trail training" a new 6-year old Arab gelding.  When one buys a horse that is accustomed to hills or desert, one has to introduce him to OUR HILLS (a subset of the Santa Cruz Mts....not so much elevation but very technical.)  I was riding along with a friend on an open fire road that followed the ups and downs of the mountain contours. We trotted down into a dip, whereupon the horse decided to run up the other side. This is a technique I've seen several horses use, apparently to gain momentum, and foolishly, I let him do it.  However, he didn't stop or slow down at the top. This particular horse became known to us as one that would appear afraid of what might be behind him, and he tended to tuck his tail between his legs and bolt. I was riding him in a Tom Thumb bit, and I didn't know anything about the finer techniques of horse training, but my instincts told me to pull him into a circle to stop him. He didn't respond; the road was not wide enough for a BIG circle, and it was a bank on one side and a drop-off on the other. He ran, "hell-bent-for-leather" for 1/2 mile when I could see we were coming up on the pipe gate blocking the road. We always ride around it, but at a full gallop, I knew that the horse wasn't going to make his way around that gate safely and I was going to lose my left leg.  Since that wasn't an acceptable option, I grabbed the rein close to the bit and literally hauled him around into a circular pattern.  I told him that if he was going to crash and burn, it was going to be into a manzanita bush, not a gate.  I did get him stopped, and I was trembling all over. We walked (mounted), all the way home, another three miles.  The horse and I didn't make a good match, as he apparently was scared, and I know I was.  One day, Lud and I were headed out for a ride, and this horse was being his usual tense self.  I asked Lud to keep the pace slow, as I felt the horse was dangerous.  Lud said, in a manner I thought was a bit "know-it-all", "Do you want ME to ride him?"  I said, "YES, but you be careful!"  So we exchanged horses, Lud mounted up and rode like he usually does....in a sort of Gary Cooper-like relaxed fashion...and that horse just settled down and they were a team ever after. The horse still would bolt on occasions, but Lud could correct him before it went anywhere.  They did hundreds of miles of endurance, lots of multi-days and even partrolled the beaches (State Park Mounted Assistance Unit) amongst the Elephant Seals. Finally, with age, the horse developed some arthritic conditions in his front feet and I sold him to a children's camp for a lesson horse.  He is still there, quite aged, and dearly beloved by all who take lessons on him....their "favorite horse."
Most of the problems I've experienced have been based in the fact that I am not a courageous rider. I have always been if not downright fearful, at least excessively cautious. My current horse Banner and I have finally made a team. He was timid and afraid and lacking in self-confidence, and so was I, in response to him.  So one of us had to change before the other one could.  Time and some expert work from a local girl who trained under Parelli, made a HUGE difference.  Banner is still likely to start at a strange object, but I can relax and tell him he's being silly, and we get past the problem.  He is such a sweet horse....and bless him, very cautious an careful on narrow, steep or otherwise difficult trails.
(Sorry, I don't write letters, I write novels......)

Barbara