Re: [RC] Feeding in Extremely Cold Weather - Chris Paus

I used to keep horses in northern Wisconsin. We were
about an hour south of Lake Superior, in that little
area on the gardening maps where zone 3 dips down.. It
was often colder there than Anchorage AK...

Our horses never were blanketed. They had a barn, but
didn't use it very often. In fact, one night we closed
them in and they kicked the door down to get out!

We kept their internal furnaces stoked with lots of
good quality hay and corn shocks.! we were living
rather rudely with little money  and resources. We
raised our own field corn, and harvested it in old
fashioned corn shocks (tipi shaped piles of corn ...
stalks leaves and all).

We'd deliver a shock a day to the horses. They'd eat
it all... stalks, leaves and ears of corn, along with
their hay. When we had extra money, we supplemented
their diets with some oats. They never were sick,
never lost weight during winter, were fine and happy.

Now I look at all the special feeds and supplements I
give my horses and wonder if they really are any
better off with all this than my previous horses were
with their simple diets.

chris
--- Jackie Causgrove <fairhairwolf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi
I live in Fairbanks Alaska.  Winter temps are often
20 to 40 below zero and there are cold snaps where
the temp drop lower than that.  Recently, it was 59
below zero at the barn.  Brrrr.

I have a small mare (14.2) and at present she is
getting all the hay she wants to eat and that is
supplemented with 4 pounds of alfalfa pellets.  She
also is getting 12 pounds of mixed grain a day.  She
is blanketed and wears a hood.  She does have
shelter but it is unheated.  She is going through
without any difficulty (no weight loss, no changes
in appetite, no frostbite etc).  She does have a
super insulated heated water tank.
When it does "warm up" (slightly below zero or at
zero), I usually keep her feed at the same level (if
it is still likely to drop back into low temps), as
a way of keeping her a bit ahead of the game.  At
that time, she is worked lightly (with an exercise
blanket).

So, it's really a matter of supporting the horse
nutritionally, blanketed (there are great turn out
rugs now etc) and of course, water at all times.
It's basically the same principles of living in
extreme cold for humans as well.  Mammalian
physiology; that sort of thing.

Horses that are not use to such extreme temp are far
more at risk.  Mammals in subartic regions ( inc
horses and human :) will develop more capillaries to
extremeities (ie more blood supply).  This is a
physiological adaptation.  Horses that are in a
region that were there is winter but not subzero
weather and then exposed to extreme temps are the
ones at risk.  But the same principles would be
involved.  The changes I would make is to sew
something on the hood to cover their ears and
bandage their legs (to attempt to cover and keep as
much heat to their feet as possible).  Also, try to
provide some kind of shelter and provide lots of
straw for them to bed down in.

Jackie

RHightshoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yesterday I heard on the radio that the temperature
in Embarrass, MN was 54
degrees below 0. It is 8 degrees in Missouri today
and I was curious about
what people in 54 degree below temperatures do
differently at feeding time.
How do you go about getting enough calories into
horses that are
unsheltered to keep them warm? How many calories a
day does a 1000 horse
need when the weather is above freezing vs. below?
Bob

 The all-new My Yahoo! ? What will yours do?

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus