Re: [RC] Re Ice water please... - heidi

For the question of winter watering of horses on acreage -

I meant to ring in on this question as well.  We currently water 38 head
out of two Brower automatic waterers.  We have one that is the really
LARGE size, that we have out in our broodmare hill pasture (where they
winter), and one mid-size one that sits in the fenceline between our
geldings and another area that currently houses the weanlings.  They have
a covered float (so the horses can't get to the float and chew it up), and
they are heated from underneath, as the entire waterer assembly sits atop
a sort of "cabinet" that contains the heating elements.  There is a
temperature probe that sits in the water in the covered area by the float
that switches the heat element on and off.  The entire "air" area
underneath the waterers is somewhat warmed, so the pipe coming up from
underground does not freeze either.  This is our third winter with these,
and I LOVE them--they have been absolutely troublefree (other than having
to put a big flat rock in the water bowl so the horses couldn't pull the
drain plugs out with their teeth).  The horses seemed to adapt to them
quite readily, and they keep the water at about 50 degrees.

SOMEDAY--I hope we can have the smaller versions in the stallion paddocks
as well--just need more $$, but like most places, this one is a work in
progress...  :-)  But must say, watering 12 colts and stallions is a
heckuva lot better than watering 50 head in cold weather!

Meanwhile, what we do for the stallions is water them in washed-out cattle
supplement tubs.  We get them free from neighboring ranchers, and when
they get holes in them, they become feeders instead of water tanks.  They
have tapered sides, so it is easy to flip them over and pop out any
accumulated ice.  If it doesn't get TOO cold (majorly sub-zero), I can get
by watering them every other day and just tapping through the ice for them
on alternate mornings.  If it is really chilly, I only fill them half full
and do it daily.

Heidi