RE: [RC] [RC] Modifying a Wool Pad - Laurie Durgin

I cut one down for my aussie saddle as it was longer than my saddle. Use a rotarty cutter , they look like a pizzia cutter or sharp scissors. Mine had a turned up edge that was wool, so I actually sewed it back on. Draw with a pencil or marker where you want it . Make sure you have 2-3" that stick out from your saddle. I have modified 3 pads, including a woolback, and I cut a felt one too and put air holes down the spine on that one.YOu might could use contact cement as long as it is away from the horse as it is flexible --but only if you can't sew what youneed to.But if it is real wool pad and I assume it has skin, you shouldn't have to worry about raveling like woven fabric...But if it is pieced and stitiched and you cut thru stitches, you will need to tie off the cuts or overcast back a good 2" so the stitiches stay locked or use a flexible glue, but again it must be on the side away fromthe horse and not lumpy.

From: Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Modifying a Wool Pad
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:17:37 -0500 (EST)

I was wondering if any of you have tried modifying a too-big wool pad yourselves? I am looking for a little advice before attempting to cut it up. I don't have a machine that can handle its thickness, so I most likely will sew anything there is to sew by hand. Its an all-purpose pad, but its really big and sticks out alot all around. I have two so if I scrap one, I still have the other. :)But I'd like to avoid that. It is real wool and has wool on both sides.
Help!

Lysane