From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gloria Adams
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:39 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] To Lucy Trumbell Tevis Radio broadcast info

Hi Lucy,
I followed the webcast last year, thank you if you were the one(s) who put
it on.

I have one question to ask you tho. I am a HAM radio operator & would love
to be able to listen to the Sweep riders. I understand the HAM radio
Southwestern Cactus Intertie system is used - it covers Utah, AZ, CA, NV, NM
- (& is actually closed down for that day, except for the Tevis & the human
runners).

If you could, could you please try to convince the HAM radio "powers that
be" to open up the Cactus Intertie system for RECEIVE only? I don't want to
be talking (ie: TRANSMIT) to the Sweep riders on my HAM radio, I only would
like to listen (ie: RECEIVE). They can control this.

I have contacted the people who I understand are in charge of radio
communications, & they kind of blew me off, as they apparently thought (in
their opinion) 1 lowly HAM endurance rider isn't enough for them to figure
out how to do this (& I could help them in AZ tho!). Yet, I feel that is not
in the spirit/ purpose of HAM radio communications (HAM radio enthusiasts
try to reach people/ events from far away, in emergencies, & for disaster
help etc).

One has to be a paid member to TRANSMIT over the Intertie system, but not to
just listen (RECEIVE).

I know theres few HAM radio endurance riders, but it would be incredibly
useful, fun, & a learning experience, for me to figure out how to get my
radio to connect + listen to a great race (& I know I can do it, they just
won't open the system up to Receive)! I can't be part of the Sweep riders as
I live 1700 miles away, unfortunately.

Anyway,

Thank you in advance for your help in the future! I will help get things
moving for next yr in AZ, if you need me, & are interested in doing this. I
can be reached at TheTripleR at direcway dot com

Sincerely,

Gloria KD7RMU