: [RC] Question re Rocky Mountain Horse - Adele H

Hi All,

Lurk most of the time....but mainly because I LOVE what you all do....  Only did CTR for several years many years ago, but loved every minute of it....

My question has to do with a Rocky Mountain Horse.... I understand some use them for CTR/Long Distance/Endurance......  Though I don't compete these days, I still like to ride and train like I used to, and who knows, perhaps I'll get up enough strength and stick-to-it to do a few local rides.....

I may have an opportunity to lease and maybe own a RMH.  Though I've owned TB's and QH, my main riding horses were always Arabians and recently a mustang.  I am trying to understand the gait.....
Do these horses just go faster at the same gait as say when on an Arab we would ask for an extension?.... Also, I was lucky enough for a short time to have an Arab that did a "float".... I guess that would be described similiar to a rack.... a left then right body movement...like a two legged walk.... She covered a tremendous amount of ground with minimal effort with that...... Is that similiar to what their gate would be at a faster pace?

Also, the person who has him says she can't get him to gait..... Since this should be a natural gait, would you think it might come back as it probably is easier for him after doing some miles almost instinctively.

I apologize if some of the questions are silly...... This is completely new to me.... but he sounds like something I probably would enjoy very much since my hip got old!! (smile)

Thanks for your help
Adele