[RC] Rest stops - smuncy

   ** I haven't seen many rest areas in the East I would want to get a horse
out in - too much traffic. If I need or want to get a horse out, I'd opt
for a truck stop. I stop a lot but very seldom get them out. My horses
will all eat and drink in the trailer and if you are not moving they can
rest. I much perfer two days driving followed by a day layover for rest
(and maybe even little ride to get rid of the cobwebs ) on long trips.
It seems to work well for both drivers and horses at this house.

  I ' ve  never heard it was illegal to unload horses at rest stops along the east coast corrider of Interstate Highways...mainly  I  81 /  I  95 ....(.Ones I used to travel the most anywhere from Va. to NY // or Va  to SC )... in fact I have   heard stories  of several that did, or do so, unload , so they 'say' routinely  ?.  I cringed every time !, I heard such. !!
    I have one very well trained and behaved horse- can you say almost 'Bombproof' ; and I would not "think" of unloading him at a rest stop, beside an interstate highway, except in an emergency.  In my 'little mind", it just is / was  " not worth the risk ". ( Unloading on slick pavement, alot of traffic in the rest area, not to mention,  highway within 50 ft -or less , and no barrier seperating it and you; Alot !!!  of stupid / ignorant /  mischievious / mean people who will / may try to spook a horse "just because", they think  " it is Fun ".
         If he is really thirsty - he will drink on the trailer, and can rest standing there, when I stop  ( for - him  )  -  10 to 20 minutes, every couple hours ( more of stop than he got on some 'rides' ). If I was traveling a distance over 10 hours I would consider finding an area at the back part of a truckstop to unload for "a little while", otherwise,  if horses can live in stalls?, he can survive in the trailer for X hours, if given rest periods / feed / water .
         On that note, I understand that out toward  midwest and west they are much more horse 'friendly' and  you can stop in to fairgrounds, even overnight; and have a place for horses. JMO