RE: [RC] Rest stops - Jim Holland

I have never been chased out of an Interstate Rest Stop.  I primarily travel
I-95, I-40, I-20, I-85 in the SE, with Atlanta being about the center of
that.  However, not many rest stops around here are appropriate.  I require
a place to back up to the curb so my horse can step off on grass instead of
pavement.  An area of grass near the rear of the area is also required. It
also depends on WHEN you stop.  At peak periods on weekends, most Eastern
rest areas are too crowded to accommodate a big rig backing up to a curb.
Rest areas are not my first choice.

I ALWAYS stop at least every 3-31/2 hours.AND I always take my horses off.
There is a risk to everything, and you have to weigh risk against benefit.
If you are not willing to take a risk, then you shouldn't be doing Endurance
rides.  If your horse has good ground manners and is well trained and
comfortable around traffic and trucks, then IMHO, the chance of an
"accident" is less there than corralled in ridecamp with 100+ horses over
which you have not control, many of which are NOT well trained. There is
also a "risk" that you will get dumped off at a ride and your horse will
disappear into the hinterlands or get kicked at the start.  If is, of
course, appropriate to use good judgment when choosing a take-off spot.  If
the trip is going to take longer than 12-14 hours, I arrange to overnight at
a horse hotel.

My guys look forward to their 20-30 minute breaks, and when they figured out
the routine, usually wait to pee until the break.  Sometimes the stop has a
weed/woods area where you can unload trailer poop.  My guys enjoy a few
bites of grass and a chance to stretch their legs.  They drink better as
well.  I use a "special bucket" just for take-offs, and they always look for
the "green bucket" water trough at each take off. Space permitting, I
usually do a little mini-trot-out to be sure they are sound.  I check for
dings and injuries during that time as well.  They arrive more rested and
relaxed and seem to enjoy the trip more.  You also meet some interesting
people in the back of truck stops.  Some McDonalds have nice places, and
many Wal-Mart Super Stores have a HUGE parking lot.but if you do that, be
prepared to be inundated with kids. J  There is a great McDonalds at Old
Fort, on I-40 just East of Asheville on the way to Leatherwood.  They even
have a water faucet at the back, and are "attached" to a small shopping
center. The girls in the take-out were hanging out the window once when we
stopped and Magic was REALLY interested, so we took him over.  Stuck his
head right in the window and gave 'em all a kiss.  They lady said he wanted
to order a large salad with no dressing to go! <grin>  Both of my guys love
attention and we try to be good "ambassadors" by being courteous and
"asking" when in doubt about taking off at a spot.

Large truck stops are the best take-off spots.  Most Flying J and Hess stops
have a truck facility with parking at the rear and usually a little grass
curb.  They have the best diesel prices as well.  The biggest risk is the
occasional trash and dog poop. The truckers have always been very courteous
and helpful, often providing travel tips and warnings about traffic.  We
were parked in the back of a Flying J once and this guy came over to scratch
Magic and tell us about his "younger days" and horses.  I mentioned I needed
to find a booze store, and he pointed us to a hole in the fence near some
trees..a liquor store was behind the trees! J

I know that lots of riders just "go hard until they get there", but Joan and
I both like to enjoy the trip as well.  Don't enjoy dueling with the trucks
on the Interstate, but other than that it's less stressful on us.  Sitting
in a truck seat for long hours is not something I care to do..and my guys
don't like standing in the trailer for long periods.  It's not the same as a
stall, even if you are stopped.and I don't ever stall my guys at home.  We
sometimes stop for ice cream, frequently for coffee, and sometimes just
because something looks "interesting".  "Getting there" is also part of the
ride.  We will occasionally try an alternate route off the Interstate.
Sometimes there is less traffic there.

When we go to a ride, we "document" good take-off spots, and plan our trip
accordingly next time.  We know in advance where we are going to take off,
eat, buy ice, etc.  Sometimes I can just drop Joan off with the horse and go
fill up with diesel while she walks him.  Works for us.  Over 2000 Endurance
miles on my two horses.never a HINT of a problem. JMHO.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic