[RC] Fw: health passport - Renie M burnett

Some of us riders here in the North part of Californian like to go to Oregon, Nevada, and or Idaho rides.  As you can see from the following letter, it sure would be nice if our health certificates here in California lasted as long as the Coggins!  Please let Dr. Brietmyer know you would like to see this implemented.  Following is a sample letter to Dr. Brietmyer.  Renie #1673

Here is a sample letter:

Dr. Brietmyer
1220 N St.
Sacramento, Ca 95814

Dear Sir,

I would like you to consider a six month health passport for horses in competition for traveling across the state borders.  Oregon has one that is good for six western states and would respect one from California except we do not have any such thing.  I read recently in my agriculture paper where six states in the Florida area implemented a six month health passport with a current Coggins for competition  horses to help the show and competition season.  I understand you are in charge of policy.

My horses compete in endurance riding and there are many rides in Oregon, Nevada and Idaho I like to attend.  I only compete on a healthy horse, fully vaccinated.  I usually compete once a month since they need rest in between rides.  Every time I must get a new health certificate good for 30 days.  This ends up doubling my entry fee since I must pay for the certificate, office call , equine exam and fuel to get to the vet.  I will not compete if my horse is not 100%.  The Coggins is good for six months the health should be also for these competing horses.

I contribute much to the economy owning, caring and competing with my horses.  It would greatly help us competitors if you would implement a six month health passport with a current Coggins  for competition horses.  Thank you for considering this.

Sincerely,