Re: [RC] [RC] Southwest (Creede) Colorado - Chris Paus

Ditto to what Nat said. I don't unload horses either. I bed the trailer down well with shavings so they can pee and poop without being splattered. I stop frequently for me and give them 20 minute rest breaks.

I keep a salt block and hay in the trailer and feed them beet pulp slurpies to get liquid into them. I've found that mine won't drink water in the trailer, but they'll slurp up a mash that is mostly water with a little beet pulp for flavor, LOL.

I can't imagine anything much worse than a horse potentially getting loose at a truck stop or rest stop along an Interstate. EEEEKKKK.

chris

Nat Nelson <circlenat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<can't stop in rest areas? Now that I'm thinking about
it, I don't remember ever seeing any in rest areas.>>

The reason you don't see truckers hauling livestock in
rest areas is that there is always a truck stop close
by that is more convient and "trucker freindly".

In short of an emergancy I never stop at rest stops! I
always stop at the truck stops. I can kill more than
two birds with one stone by doing so. . . Truck stops
are so much more convenient than rest stops - gas,
food, water for my horse, coffee for me, restrooms and
shopping. Plus in the event I need to get a quick nap,
I feel much safer at the truck stop then at a rest
stop.

I rarely take my horse out of the trailer on the way
to an endurance ride. Simply stopping and allowing
them to stand helps. I also rig a water bucket and hay
net in the trailer so my horse has access to feed and
water during the trip.

~Nat~
Buckeye, AZ

http://mail.yahoo.com