Re: [RC] GPS Garmin Etrex Ledgend - Joe Long

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:57:30 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

If any one can answer these questions i'd like to know also.
i can't hold it by my side when walking or put it in my pocket.
I thought i really liked the features of this GPS, it looked
reasonable and i wanted something i could download maps
from.  i bought mine second hand, even though i had reseached
and was going to by new, thought i got lucky another gal didn't
want a download function and was changing to the wrist kind.
I think I got took.  I really like the features, if it would only really
work!!!

Not all GPS's are created equal -- a good antenna and sensitive receivers help
in the woods.  One of the reasons I bought the model I did (Garmin GPSmap 60cs)
was that it has a good antenna (double-helix).  The antenna alone is almost as
big as an entire wrist-mounted unit!  It also has a large color screen and
barometric altimeter, and lots of functions.

With that unit, I can put it in my cantlepack and when I come in from a loop I
will have an accurate track, accurate mileage, time moving, time stopped,
average speed moving, overall average speed, and peak speed.  Even in the woods
I get few dropouts.  I upload the tracks onto my computer and superimpose them
on topo maps and aerial photos -- I enjoy looking at where I've been on the
aerial photos.

If there are inaccuracies due to signal loss I can edit them out on the
computer.  I'm building a library of the tracks for use on future years at rides
(I'll download the previous year's tracks into the GPS in case I get off-trail).
I just have to make sure I know if they've changed the trail.

For example, last winter I was riding in the woods after a snowfall.  The snow
was deep enough to completely hide the trail, there was no way to see where it
went by eye.  But, I had a saved track in the GPS from a time I'd ridden it
previously, so I just followed that -- it was easy, and I never got off the
trail.  The previous track was red, and my current track was blue, and any time
the blue line began to deviate from the red line I just angled back and was
right back on target.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx