Re: [RC] Tying to the trailer vs Bungees et al. - Carol Suggs

Its been interesting reading these posts on this subject.  When I first saw
those Hi Tie things for the trailers I thought, wow those are pretty cool,
showed my husband and the first thing he says is:

"Yeah, one pull back on that thing and the horse is going to rip it off the
trailer and take off running with it chasing him from behind, what a wreck
that would be in camp."

Typically he is the optimist so I thought that comment funny.

We never bought one.  We do use rope halters.  Our horses are good, but I
have had one break a normal halter or two or a lead rope with a brass snap.
With the rope halters, no hardware to break.

I have to agree with Diane, we should be training our horses at home to
behave how we want them to when they are away.  If your horse pulls back at
home, he is probably going to pull back wherever you take him, so be
prepared.  I'd rather use an old bike tire intertube and tie to that with my
lead rope if I know my horse has a tendancy to pull back.  It gives some
relief, but it also can break.

The tie blocker rings that Clinton Anderson so endorses, seem like a good
idea, but aren't those really almost teaching our horses to pull back?  I
say if you use the tie blocker you'd better ALWAYS use it.  The only
exception would be that I think I might get them for inside the trailer.  If
the horse falls in the trailer or you are in an accident at least they can
give themselves some relief without having to wait on you.

Oh and regarding tying strong and short (short for me meaning eye or wither
level to your horse), on our Exiss trailer...for some reason the tie rings
on the outside pop right off with the least amount of pressure...I need to
replace one already.  My friend had the same problem with her Exciss so she
bought tie rings from Featherlight that actually bolt on to the inside of
the trailer and those seem to be working fine.

Carol-Mariposa