[RC] Pulse question - Karen Casemier

I had to laugh at Angie's message. My husband and I are both starting out in distance riding, and we have the two most opposite horses: he rides a young 15.2 QH gelding, and I'm on 14.3 Morgan mare. We did our first ride together a couple of weeks ago. His gelding, turning six next week, at his first ride ever, walked into the checks and his pulse dropped like a rock. If we waited 10 minutes to take his pulse, he probably would have been at about 10 ;>). My mare has great recoveries in training, but is so darn interested and excited at the vet check that she'll drop down into the 50s, and then rocket back up into the 80s. It takes her 5-10 minutes and a very quite and calm p&r person to get her to reach criteria. I can't imagine the kind of penalty points I'd incur in CTR. The gelding wins the vet check competition.

However, out on the trail, my mare's ears are forward, she gets pissed off if I let a horse pass her, and she has boundless energy and has discovered an incredible forward trot and an effortless canter. The gelding, on the other hand, could have cared less who passed him and who was in front of him, and even though he has a huge stride, would often end up 1/4 mile behind me because he could not keep up with my mare (and keep in mind we lost out on the turtle award by once placing, so it wasn't like I was speeding along!). At one point, I thought I was going to have to grab his reins and DRAG him to the finish (he has great recoveries and great working heart rate, he's in excellent shape, he just does NOT have the drive my mare has). The expression on both horse's faces said it all about their personalities. It was quite obvious my mare was having the time of her life (didn't like having to stop and wait around at the vet check, but ate up the trail). The gelding was punching the clock.

Needless to say, once my mare figures out the vet check thing and starts recovering more quickly and consistently, she is leaving LD and moving on to 50 milers.

The gelding will then leave LD and go onto CTR, where I'm sure he will absolutely flourish. He will never waste one ounce of energy more than is absolutely required of him.