*From:* Laney Humphrey <mailto:laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
*To:* sarah metcalf <mailto:smetcalf@xxxxxxxxxx>
*Cc:* Tom Allen <mailto:tallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ; EventXC@xxxxxxx <mailto:EventXC@xxxxxxx> ; Ride Camp <mailto:ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 28, 2005 10:00 PM
*Subject:* Re: [RC] Equine TMJ

The equine dentist (Todd Williams)who has cared for this horse since he
was 5 (he's now 10) thinks the meniscus is malformed (as I remember from
all those years ago when he did the diagnosis).  When the horse is
sedated for dental work, he has opened and closed the mouth to determine
the range of motion.  The horse is not in pain and he appears to chew
normally.  Fortunately, he carries himself in balance and doesn't need
much to be "collected."  However,I never ask for collection for very
long to avoid putting any additional stress on the joint.  BTW, it is
the left TMJ and he is much stiffer to the left than the right but there
may be other causes for that in addition to the joint.  He is a Spanish
Mustang.  Todd said Dino would probably die in his 30s and it wouldn't
be from TMJ disease.
Sarah, I'm hoping to do Steph's Owyhee High Country Pioneer this coming
Labor Day on this horse.  If we make it, you can play with his TMJ then.
  I'd love your input!
Laney