Re: [RC] [RC] Sponging on the fly - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Joni has now getting to where she can sponge on the fly.  I have worked with her for some time this late spring.  This is how we do it....applies to any gait.
  1. Be sure that the sponge is the right size to catch with one hand....too big won't work.
  2. Be sure that the sponge has a "wrist leash" so that if the worst happens, you don't drop it...we use a velcro wrist strap.  That way, if you get tangled up in a tree limb, you don't get jerked off the horse at a canter.
  3. As far as aim, I aim at the center of the puddle, usually  this is done with an overhanded throw...hard into the puddle.  This throw should be in advance of the horse, so that by the time the horse is even with the puddle, you are ready to pull it back up.
  4. The pulling up of the sponge is tricky.  We let the sponge sit for a second in the puddle, while the horse is moving past, let the arm and sponge string extend backward.  Then you jerk the sponge like a yoyo toward the front of you, and catch the sponge in air.

That may not make sense to you unless you see it demonstrated.  As far as the string length, it needs to be long enough to reach the ground easily, and the  string needs to be something like a small nylon/cotton rope.   Joni has a beta leash, but I like the old style leash better.  I suppose that it is just what your used to using.

For what it's worth.  :))

April <endurancerider@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's a nice oldie, but a goody post from RC to get you started:

http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/archives/past/98/42/msg00341.html

I can not do sponging on the fly at a trot. I can do it at a walk. Not very exciting, but I started slow and maybe one day I'll be able to do it at a trot, too. :-)

Maybe Angie will update this for us! :-)

April
Nashville, TN