RE: [SPAM] Re: [RC] Safety Issue - Ride Managers alert - heidi

Darn, ride managers have it tough enough without having to lay a red carpet
at the finish.  Just a well-defined finish line and the RIDER CAN CHOOSE
WHAT
TO DO NEXT.

Proper decisions during an endurance ride are the purview of the  rider of
the horse and that ability doesn't stop at 99.9 miles when the rider  wishes
race in.

Frank, I agree that the responsibility ultimately lies with the rider.
That said, every good RM wants to host a ride that is as good as
possible, and I think this thread has brought up some excellent
suggestions.  As a long-time RM myself, I've learned a lot of this
stuff the hard way over the years, and no matter how long we do this
stuff, there is still something to learn.  Some RMs have also never
found themselves in the position of a front-running rider, and I think
that it is a courtesy on the part of the riders to let RMs know how it
looks from that perspective.

My horses have "dealt" with bright lights shining in their eyes at the
ends of 100s, with lime lines across finishes, etc.  But if a simple
word to the wise can help an RM to do a better job, then it behooves
riders to speak up.  We're all in this to have good rides that are also
as safe and pleasant for our horses as possible, and the rider's end
goal is the same as the RM's goal in that respect.  A little bit of
friendly communication never hurt anyone...

Heidi