From: "Steph Teeter" <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <brunjesk@xxxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FEI COC Rule. (RE: [RC]   Pine Tree 100 preliminary results)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:54:52 -0600

Nik - and others - here's another example of why the new FEI rule, effective
January 2006 - which says you must finish at 12kph or 13:20 ride time to
earn a Championship COC (qualification) - is simply too inflexible. Top
finishers at Pine Tree CEI*** took 14+ hours. Hot humid conditions. None of
the riders could use this ride to earn their COC.

FEI needs to revise or amend the rule to accomodate ride conditions which
are not conducive to 13:20 ride times (heat/humidity or terrain or extreme
weather or whatever). Either allow rides to petition for an exclusion to the
rule (even afterwards, if ride conditions altered the outcome) or change it
so that it is based upon a percentage of the winning time (let the winning
time be the standard, not an arbitrary number that works best on flat fast
courses).

In my opinion, since rules are slow to change, the best course for FEI to
follow would be to allow petitions for exclusion, i.e. allow certain rides
to petition the FEI to alter the criteria used to determine the COC cutoff.
Use some common sense in this respect. The intent of the rule is to set the
bar higher for Championship level events. This (imo) is fine, but FEI must
allow some flexibility into the rule.

USEF, and other Federations (Malaysia) need to keep an open dialogue with
FEI regarding this. The Pine Tree ride is a prime example of a case where
the ride managers could/should petition the FEI Endurance committee to
consider the ride and conditions, and allow another option (e.g. percentage
of winning time) in determining COC criteria.

cc: Ian Williams - Manager, Endurance - FEI
cc: Mary Lutz - USEF, Endurance Director

Steph