[RC] ultium - Alice Yovich

Hi, I'm the one who mentioned the pony. I fed it to him b/c he has terrible
skin trouble and I've been adding fat to his diet. in the form of flax. I
started off feeding him Nutrena XTN, which was recommended by the feed store
I u sed to go to as it was beet pulp based, high in fat and palatable. It
got to be inconvenient to go to that feed store, so I  switched to Ultium as
it seemed to be very similar in composition. Plus, he would poop out the
whole oats and ultium was just a bit more processed and didn't leave
anything undigested coming out the other end.  He was not in hard work, but
he didn't work hard either.

My mare was working very hard when I switched her to ultium. she only eats
about 3 pounds one time per day, so I figure we're doing OK. If I feed her
sweet feed or other textured feed she poops it out. She has great teeth so
this isn't the issue, it's just the way she digests her food, I'm afraid.

I'm getting the the beet pulp  has more energy in it than I thought. I had
thought that since people feed it to insulin resistant horses, it was good
for horses who didn't need a ton of feed in terms of calories.

I am wondering about some of the posts that mention Ultium Feed.
From my reading of their literature it should only be fed to
horses that are in  very intensive work, which may explain why a pony got a
little hyper and other people have experienced
their horses having too much energy.  In addition, I have been unable to
find it because our feed store that carries Purina
products said they were not allowed to sell it without going
through a training class (of course that could be hooey)
because other people either can get it easier than I can or
their feed stores aren't talking to the people buying it.