[RC] Cooley Ranch 2005 Ride (aka The Mud Bath Ride) - long, part 1 of 2 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sandy Holder sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heh fellow endurance riders!  Well by now you probably have heard from a few
other folks about the Cooley Ranch ride this past weekend.  To say the least,
the riders that left early or decided not to attempt it, really missed a good
time; particularly the large bonfire at the post ride dinner.  As my lovely
daughter calmly stated to me as she crewed at the last vet check, it?s an
?endurance? sport and this weekend we?re having an ?enduring? time!  She could
say this of course because she was ?volunteered? to crew for 5 of us riders who
decided to tempt fate.  We told her we?d try not to get struck by lightning
(just kidding ? it wasn?t THAT bad) and restrain ourselves from taking mud
baths.  Of course at the end of the ride, she was the one liberally covered in
obnoxious stuff, primarily from 2 of the horses wanting to rub on her after
they?d filled their mouths with gooey slop!

For me, this was a personal journey.  Last year, attempting to actually get to
the ranch, my riding buddy (father figure and mentor) and I overcame a very
difficult spell ? mentally recovering after the brake on our trailer failed,
boiling one of our tires in Friday afternoon traffic in the midst of the
freeway.  We did actually make it to the ride to volunteer, but only after
being rescued by some very nice fellow horse people who boarded our horses
overnight for us and to MoTow who put my 2 horse slant-load Circle J on the
back of a flat bed trailer (now THAT was a sight ? but I digress).

So our plan this year was to head up to the ride early.  Of course, the shadow
of aggravation had carried over from last year, so we had some challenges of
getting 4 horses to a ride when we only had a 3 horse slant load (thank you
Sheila), and trying to sync our travel with her and others (10 or 10:30 or 11
or 11:15 or I think it was close to 12:30 p.m. by the time it all ?happened?),
did I mention that the truck broke down on Monday before the ride?  Anyway, I
guess we should have expected that if we did actually make it to the ride, it
would at least rain on us!

It was a bit muddy when we came into camp around 3:30 p.m. on Friday.  The good
news for us was that we spied a large space on the side of a hill that looked
big enough to fit us and our two companions that were traveling ½ hour or so
behind us.  Taking the horses out of the trailer, Dick put his big new Ford
F350 in 4 wheel drive and ?blazed? to a good spot.  Our two friends didn?t get
quite the same running start and were pulled by Ron?s tractor service but were
able to safely exit without any assistance.  By the way, Ron?s big smile and
?we can do it? attitude kept us all in pretty good spirits even when we found
out the porta potties had gotten lost on the way to the ride (thank you Lord
for the little portable one Katie picked up for us at the camping store).

Vetting our horses in was a treat as one of the vets was a lady that didn?t
ride endurance.  By the time she?d noted all the noteworthy marks of my
pastured horse (he and his buddies have way too much fun), my card looked like
a bookie had been writing bets on it for the Sunday running of the ponies!  I?m
glad that Lucky went to the head vet (who?s vetted this ride probably from
inception) as I?m not sure they could have gotten all of his little ?love
bites? from his mates written on the same 8 x 11 card.