RE: [RC] [RC] for men too! - heidi

Since so many people have mentioned it, I disagree with the little/no pain
meds plan of attack, at least depending on what the specific medication is.
If the scrip is for something that only provides masking of the pain ---
opioids and such like percodan, darvocet, morphine drips, etc, then fine.
Titrate them as you wish.  I agree that it's better not to overuse the meds
that knock you for a loop and keep you from getting up and walking around,
as that WILL slow recovery.

Also, there is such a thing as 'wind-up' pain.  Long story, but essentially
means it takes less drugs to *prevent* pain than it does to *treat* pain.

This is gospel, folks.  If you are in screaming pain, your recovery will
be WAY longer.  After my hysterectomy, I was married to the morphine
pump for 24 hours.  But the next day, I was able to get out of bed and
walk out of the hospital with minimal pain meds, largely due to the
fact that I had NOT had a tense pain-filled post-surgical day!  Don't
be afraid of pain meds at the right times.  I had surgery on a
Thursday, and by Saturday I was walking back and forth wtih the water
hose doing the watering while hubby did all the heavy work.  By the
next Wednesday, I was back to work (some of it kind of physical, but
paying close attention to the lifting restrictions).  I think a lot of
that was due to not being shy about the pain meds for the first 24
hours.

However, don't skip the use of the anti-inflammatory drugs like Tylenol with
or without codeine, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, etc.  Yes, they are also
analgesic and thus count as pain meds.  But a more important function
post-surgery is to reduce swelling, inflammation, AND MOST IMPORTANT, reduce
development of abdominal adhesions.  You do NOT want to tough it out and
skip those drugs at the risk of forming adhesions.

Again, right on the money.  Any time there is inflammation going on,
don't be shy about using appropriate meds--because the damage from the
inflammation is a lot more of an issue than the pain!

Those suckers hurt and

P.S.  I asked David what he suggested as a way for hubbies to help their
ladies.  Succinct as ever, he said, "If it weighs more than five pounds,
carry it for her, take it away from her if necessary and don't wait to be
asked."

Tell David good for him!  Hubby's limit for me was a gallon of milk (8
lbs when full) but otherwise he was likewise a good sport about
committing to 6 weeks of doing all my chores.

Heidi