Re: [RC] fleas and ticks - rides2far

. >>>Chickens are wonderful bug and fly eaters. I have 10 chickens on my 15 acres and have almost no flys.

I had chickens. They were a pain in the tail and the ticks were everywhere. (Neighbor's guineas roam my field too) Never saw any improvement, just had absolutely no landscaping because they'd kick up anything you planted. They also love to roost on a $100 horse blanket and crap down the back at every available opportunity. I'm down to one hen and wish desperately that she'd die. The only positive thing about her is that she cackles when opossums try to get her, so the dog barks and then Bill shoots the opossum. Makes me worry less about EPM...but then, would the opossum show up in the first place if it weren't for that stupid hen?  Oh yeah, I get no egg either. The dogs will lay there for hours till she lays it. I thought, well at least the dog gets extra nutrition, until I saw the dog carefully burying the egg in the manure pile. Now I have to worry about busting rotten eggs out there. Don't tell me to cook her. I tried that with my rooster. My chickens are ATHLETES. You could use the stringy meat for dental floss.

Angie