[RC] question on stifle injury - Karen Sullivan

Opinions wanted....my first ever stifle injury on horse.....

Mare was injured 2 and a half weeks ago....in my area of "safest fencing" go figure.  In disagreement with neighbor horses, she apparently got front foot stuck in Horse-no-climb fencing....shoe caught in wire, so she struggled and fell into pipe panels, knocking over entire row....had metal-pipe panel markings on her right side, slight lacerations on all four legs....more around right stifle....was very sore and limping on right hind.  I got her to barn, cold hosed for 15 minutes, and observed. She could put weight on it, and walk, but really didn't want to.  Picked up injured back leg, all joints flexed...picked up other hind; she could stand on injured leg no problem.....

Called vet, ran down whole story....she said just monitor for next 24 hours, didn't sound like anything broken, so don't bring in yet.

Gave bute twice a day...over next 2 days, stifle area was hot and swollen. Horse was confined to paddock. Bute for 4 days, cold hosing.

A week later she was walking and trotting almost normal.....swelling gone

At a week and half we watched brief trot in round pen....both directions; looked fine.  Did flexion tests on right hind,
looked fine.  But on occasion, at liberty, when she had to turn or move fast, I saw "offness"on that leg.

Today shoer came (two and half weeks)...I asked him to watch her trot (didn't tell him was was wrong). Second time out he said she was not pushing off as evenly on right hind, he guessed stifle injury (I was impressed)....he is excellent horseman also.

Everyone is telling me stifle injuries are serious; he said pull shoes and lay horse off a month at least....she is 5, give plenty of time to heal...but he didn't think it was that bad or serious.....he had a mare with a really bad stifle injury and laid her off 8 months....

Becuase it seemed to resolve fairly quickly, I didn't do vet visit....maybe should have ultrasounded?  I am hoping leg was only badly bruised or strained....and no torn muscles or ligaments....

Okay....any opinions appreciated, what would you do or handle this?
Karen