Re: [RC] Hematoma - abigail Madden

Kim,

In addition to the hot packs, you might want to try massage/rubbing/pressure around the area of injury, as much as the horse will allow,  to increase the circulation.

In 2001 I came off of Tiger and ended up under him (I didn't want to let go of the reins for fear he would end up in the next county).  In his scrambling, he stomped on my pubic bone and a really nifty hematoma was the result.  For the first two days I was to put cold packs (for swelling) on it and then hot packs (for circulation).  The Dr. told me I should massage the area of injury as much as I could to promote circulation.  Ha!!!  You wanna' talk about a pain that will make your eyelids sweat.  I did it.  I would just kind of put pressure on the tissue around the injury site.  It was extremely painful and I have a very high pain tolerance, but the hematoma was pretty much gone within two weeks and I was riding again in a month.    If your horse is the type that will just "stand there and take the pain", you might give that a shot along with your other treatment options.  Just be very careful as it will probably be very painful to him.  I had a bit of calcification at the injury site as well as a real "ouchy" spot, but that has now passed as well.  So, the healing process is very long,  but not insurmountable.

Good luck,

abigail
Chico, CA

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Kim kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just want to thank everyone for there opinions, suggestion, and experiences regarding hematomas. I have decided to take him to the vet to have him drain it. I'm not taking him though until next Thur. So hopefully what I am currently doing will help to bring the swelling down even more. I am giving some homeopathics internally Arnica, and have gotten the Traumeel gel for externally. Plus am using other products to draw out the heat. My vet said light riding w/ some trotting is ok. He also said to make him walk up hills too. But not to overdo it. I guess that's to help w/ if any scar tissue that might form.

I wanted to know from Susan what is the purpose of putting hot packs on it? Will that also help to draw things out quicker? I would think you wouldn't want heat.

Today when I went out there the swelling in his hock and leg down in the cannon bone was down so I guess that's a good thing. Here's hoping between now and next Thur I can get it down even further.

Again thanks for all the suggestions.
Kim