Re: [RC] Ticks - Truman Prevatt

After my last experience I'm a little skeptical to use anything until I did a lot of research. If our horse vet had not been coming out to do Coggins on the horses the day after we gave the Frontline, my dog may have been dead now. He looked at him, gave him a shot of Bamnamine and told us to get him to a clinic right now.

He never reacted to the Advantage until the Frontline reaction. Now both seem to cause him problems.

Truman

agilbxr@xxxxxxx wrote:

It's unusual to have dogs react to the advantage or the front line. I've been a vet tech for 15 years, and the only reaction I've seen was a little localized swelling on a cat with the frontline.

I personally use advantage. It's wonderful. It is no more expensive than all the shampoos, dips, sprays, powders, and bombs that I used pre-advantage to control fleas...as a matter of fact, I feel it's cheaper. I buy the big dog kind..it's about $40 for a 4 month supply. I put one on my big dog (60#'s), and split one between the two smaller dogs and the three cats. Therefore, I spend $20/month on flea control. Not bad. And when my 40# lab/pit mix ate a 4 month supply, it didn't hurt her in the least. She's outside barking now...
Now, I HAVE seen reactions to the stuff they sell in the grocery store. I worked emergency for a long time, and you don't want to know how many dead cats and dogs I've seen from that stuff. Why they are allowed to still market it is beyond me. The major difference between frontline and advantage, and the grocery store/walmart stuff is that frontline and advantage isn't absorbed into the skin..it stays in the oils of the coat. The grocery store stuff is absorbed into the animals body...hence all the problems. The stuff they are using on the horses is effectively the same chemical found in the grocery store stuff. And if this stuff kills dogs and cats, it CAN'T be that good for my horse either...especially since my horse reacts to regular insecticides. I have to be very careful what brands of fly spray I use, or I have a peeling horse.

Anyway, flea control is pretty easy now, unless you are Truman and for some reason your dog reacts badly to the new good stuff. Have you tried using the Program? or Sentinal? That will at least keep the population down...
Juli and Alpine and Spot (who is now in alpines stall munching hay)

--

“The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second class citizen to a second class immortal.” Satchel Paige