Re: [RC] Ticks - Truman Prevatt

We were using Advantage on our dog. We tried Frontline. The frist time we put it on him he had a reaction - a very bad reaction that required vet treatment. We laid off everything for 6 months and then tried Advantage again. He had a reaction to it.

The vet is writting a report to the FDA.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Since an endurance rider has a tick born illness, I'm saying this is relevent. :-)
Well, I've been cleaning house *again* (gotta be a record) so I've been posting too much (way to take a break). But I just gotta give a testimonial...just in case I'm not the last person on earth to try FrontLine Plus. We have pine woods behind our house. When I ride I have to de-tick my horse. De-ticking horses & dogs is bad, fleas are impossible. I've got 3 dogs (two Australian Shepherds and a Schi Tzu (at least I don't have to worry about anybody correcting that spelling today. :-) I've tried the Hartz version that you squirt down the dog's back with absolutely zero results, expensive flea collars (love it when a healthy tick lives under a new collar forever) flea baths, sprays, dips, sevin dust, Raid carpet spray (the last two helped a little) but I still had to sit down at least once a week with a cup of alcohol to de-tick the dogs and it was gross and you just tried not to think about the fleas. It's amazing I don't have some disease from handling so many ticks. Anyway, since the little dog is now a house dog I *had* to get rid of fleas, I didn't even have any hopes anything would help on ticks. I put the Front Line on and bam. NOTHING. No ticks, no fleas, nothing. It's been a week. I can pet the dog and it's not lumpy (woo hoo!) Not a single flea anywhere. I can't believe it. It's supposed to last a month. If it does, it's worth every penny. The stuff's expensive but since the 3 month box for a 22 lb. dog was $34 and a 3 mo. supply for an 88 lb. dog was $37 I just looked at the amount of the dose for 22 lbs. and used a syringe to split it between several dogs. I also did my cat which is nursing kittens...the syringe jumped and I put enough on her to do about a 40 lb. dog and the cat and kittens are still alive so I felt a little better about the safety factor. I checked my dog all over and finally found one tick (usually there would be a good 50) and it was shriveled up and mummified. I guess it would be a bit expensive to do a horse though. >g< I figure I got enough on my hands that I won't have a tick for at least a couple of weeks. :-P
Angie (who just scrubbed the mud off my bathroom scales that I used to weigh riders about 10 years ago :-)

--

“The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second class citizen to a second class immortal.” Satchel Paige