RE: [RC] re: spelling and such - heidi

Well said, Laura!  This is not, obviously, an academic forum.  Each of us
has unique strengths and weaknesses.  Just ask yourself...would you speak
to your best friend or spouse that way if they made a similar mistake?
And, if so, bet your relationships are limited.  One of the best things
about this sport is that it doesn't matter how much education you have or
who your parents are...we have doctors, lawyers and professors riding down
the trail with folks without a high school education.  Cindy

We all make typos once in awhile.  Some of us make typos a lot.  That's
ok, certainly.  But I'd add another perspective to this.  Sometimes it
is a kindness to correct gently when one is making a flub that is
potentially embarrassing.  The "cavalry-calvary" thing is one of these.
It is a whole different word.  Kinda like when my dad was little and
had the words "Kodak" and "Kotex" confused.  Maybe I'm the Lone Ranger
here, but if I make that kind of blooper, I'd kinda like to have my
friends let me know so I don't go stick my foot in my mouth in other
situations.

As for speaking to my best friend or spouse that way--you betcha I do,
with the same kind of friendliness that I'd tell them if their fly is
open or if there is ketchup on their tie.  My husband is not a native
English speaker, and he greatly appreciates having his boo-boos
corrected.

I think too often corrections are misinterpreted.  They are generally
offered in the spirit of helpfulness, not in the spirit of being
judgmental.  And I think it behooves us all to take corrections of this
sort for what they are--friendly warning that your fly is open, before
you go embarrass yourself in public.  ;-)  The "cavalry-calvary" is
such a common problem that public discussion was worthwhile--and I
thought it was all handled lightly and in good humor...

Heidi