[RC] - L gin

I have a 'tree eating teacher horse" who teaches horses where ever he has gone to eat trees. Mine always have hay, salt and mineral block--I am even adding some selenium and e to their diets. he can have grass, clover, weeds and he will still eat the trees, though they are more likely to eat bark in winter-- guess cause the leaves are gone ;0)
I had to fence off the trees with electric wire, (when in groups) and individual trees with "cages". I have used 4 different kinds of materials.
If you have access to a garden supply ( i get it at home depot , sometimes Walmart. you can get "tree netting" or Garden netting. Various types > I used a black with sort of hexagon holes in it- fairly thick. Easy to cut with scissors or a knife, and I used wire ties or twitst ties or cut pieces fo my electric fence wire to tie it into a round cage 6-8" larger than the diamenter of the tree, then I made another an stacked it above and tied the two together. This is easiest to install and works.
Another kind is a silvery mesh. The thinner stuff is too fragile and tempting, Scout pulled it off (the baby).
The black is kind of an 'eyesore" though.
What works the best and last longest. Is to get a roll of dogwire-- or rabbit wire --30"-48" tall ( it is welded with like, 2" by 4" rectangeles) ,and I got a 50 or you can get 100 foot rolls. I cut the cages , again wider than truck to allow for growth in the future and I cut the squares so there is enough left over to wrap around the wire so it is self -tying. (if lazy I cut aobut 1/2 of them flush or more) Then I wrap the tree and fold the cut strips over on themselvces and wrap and have any leftover edge pointing towards the tree. I then stack anothe cage under it (I push the fist cage up over the second after it is all tied together, then connect the two cages with about 4 ties so they stand about 6-8 feet tall. I never have to nail into any of the trees... and it is fairly invisible from a distance.
If they girdle (eat all way round the tree, it's a goner)......