Re: [RC] [RC] Epics after 5 days - DreamWeaver

At 05:01 PM 6/14/2005, April wrote:
Thanks for the info. I demoed the Epics earlier this year and unfortunately got pastern rubbing from a 25 mile training ride, so I retired them and went back to metal shoes. I was reading your account and you say you wrap with vet wrap. Do you wrap the entire foot and pastern or just the pastern? Do you happen to have any pics of Chief's feet wrapped, but not booted yet?

Hi April: This is probably the closest http://www.xprides.com/2005_June_XP_Day_4/P1010062.JPG I've been using black, so it's hard to see, especially given the horses coloring. Or try this one, this was the last day and I had run out of black and had to use purple: http://www.xprides.com/2005_June_XP_Day_5/day5_002.JPG on the hind feet. The purple didn't work, as it was thicker and old and didn't stick so he got mud wedged under there and I had to take it off at lunch and rode him the second half of the day without any wrap, which was fine, he didn't have any rubbing by only doing a half a day that way. Make sure you use stuff that sticks, it makes all the difference in the world!

I've been getting the bandages from Country Supply: http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BHA30.html for under a buck a roll, and really like it better than some of the other stuff out there.

I've been putting three or four wraps around the pastern area, one roll does four feet (pasterns). It helps if the horse is standing and bearing weight on that foot when you wrap it. If I do another ride with a lot of mud, I might wrap the entire hoof and go up from there, but I don't know yet if I can do that and still get the boot on or not. This has worked well at the last few rides, including ones with lots of deep sand, even deep wet sand. I think I have tested the boots in just about every condition now, well maybe except for ideal conditions (ha ha) ;)

The boots have had several improvements made to them since you used them last. I think they have just about got it :)

Karen