Re: [RC] Epics after 5 days - ebeyrider

I will concur with Karen. I just completed my second 100-miler in the EPICS, and
would not hesitate to use them on Tevis (if I had signed up in time). I do not
remove the heel strap or use vetwrap for the one-day rides I have been doing.
If your horse has issues with neoprene or you were doing multiday rides,
vetwrap is simple enough to use, and I will be testing a special pastern wrap,
which will soon be available from the company. Also, the new-style EPIC that I
tested on the 100 does not even have the buckle and cotter pin to deal with. It
did fine for us, but we didn't really have much water crossings (the TRUE TEST
of any boots). So stay tuned!
Terry
"Free the feet!"

Quoting Dreamweaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Here are some photos, since people are curious about how the Epics are working for us. This was the first 5 day ride I've done in them. We had done a couple of three day rides, a two day ride and a couple of one day rides in them previously. Enough to at least figure out what I needed in order to make them work for us on a 5 day multiday ride. http://www.xprides.com/epics/Schellbourne/SCHELLBOURNEEPICS.html I'm not sure what is going on with the weather this year, but it seems that from the first ride I went to this year (Death Valley), I've been riding in extreme conditions. Rain, wind, mud, sleet, snow, hail, obnoxious water crossings, etc. I suppose it's already way too late to return the raingear I got for Christmas huh? ;) I think that since we did make it thru all 250 miles of Schellbourne last week with the Epics in the conditions we rode thru (lots of mud, bogs, water crossings, etc.) that it's pretty safe to say that they should work for us on anything!

There are photos of the boots, and of the horses feet and pasterns so you
can see how everything is wearing.  I've eliminated the rubbing issue from
the gaiters by wrapping the pasterns with vetwrap each morning.  I don't
think I would need to do that for just a 50 or two in a row, or on a ride
where the conditions are dry and more normal (with only say a dozen water
crossings instead of a dozen every mile <g>).  I've been using the cotter
pins and that keeps the buckles from coming up.  The boots clean up really
well, and each day have come off clean.  I think part of it is that I have
such a snug fit with the boots.  I am also cutting the heelstrap off of the
back of each boot.  That is keeping the bulbs from getting any pressure on
them, and it's working beautifully!

Chief had previously been easyboot challenged, which was kind of
frustrating for me.  The Epics are a great solution for him, and I think
he's been doing so well in them that I will probably keep him barefoot from
here on out and use the Epics on him for actual endurance rides.  The new
boots are offering all of the support he needs on even these difficult
rocky rides.  I'm really impressed with how well they have worked out for
us so far.  We're up to 15 endurance rides in them now, I think 765 of his
965 miles this year.

I still have not had to actually trim his feet since pulling his shoes off
in March.  He is active enough and I guess the terrain he lives in is
abrasive enough to keep things worn down.  All we've had to do is a little
bit of rasping, and mostly that is just to smooth any rough edges.

After the boots have been used a couple of days, they get easier to get
on.  I fold the back of the gaiter down over the boot and try to velcro it
underneath when I put it on.  That keeps me from pulling on the gaiter (and
inadvertently damaging it), and also keeps it out of the way.  I give
myself about 20 minutes time each morning, and that includes cleaning out
the feet, wrapping the pasterns with vetwrap, and then applying the
boots.  I think that each day I got faster and faster and probably by the
5th day of the ride was getting all four feet done in half that
time.  Getting them off is a lot easier, I just use pliers to pull the
cotter pin out, a screwdriver to pop the buckle up, undid the velcro on the
gaiter and the boots slip right off.

I have not yet lost a boot or had one come off of Chief -- that is really
saying a lot considering how much mud and bogs and stuff we went thru at
Schellbourne.  We were extremely lucky all week and never fell in a bog,
though we did go thru a lot of areas where the mud was ankle deep.  I think
the boots also helped protect him so that he did not get scratches.  It
sure didn't hurt anyway, that his pasterns are blocked from sunlight during
the day.

More than you wanted to know? :)

Karen
& Granite Chief