Re: [RC] AHA and Juniors at the National Ride - mkrumlaw

This isn't a David and Goliath situation and for this to be perceived as
such is unfounded.

I don't think you have an understanding of how AHA works.  AHA is made up
of the Executive Committee (EC) which votes on policy, procedures, rules,
by-laws, etc.  They depend on many sub-committees that are involved in
the various uses of the Arabian horse to write and suggest the rules
governing that area.  Most of the EC have no clue what goes on at an
endurance ride, that's the job of the endurance committee.

The endurance committee at some point in time wrote a rule regarding the
national awards and it was voted into the rule book. Period. I don't
think when the group sat down to write the rule they thought "let's cut
out the juniors."  My guess is that it didn't cross their minds because
there may not have been any juniors involved.

I know the rules have been that way for at least 20 years as that's how
long I've been doing the AHA rides. The reason that the awards/rules
still stand is that no one has asked them to be changed.

As a full member of AHA you should have received a copy of the 2005
handbook, which clearly states the awards for the national ride.  When
you read this did you think to ask about a junior award before the event?
Did you contact your AHA director or the National Committee Member from
your region and ask them about it?  If you did and they said no then
there is an issue to be addressed, and I can address that issue at the
convention.  If you read the rules and missed the Junior award as well
then how can you blame AHA?

Though I've been on and off of the endurance committee for the last 15
years, this is the first time I know of that offering a national junior
award has been brought to the table.  In a matter of days it was voted
for and will go to the executive committee at it's next meeting, which I
believe is in August.  All it took was one person to ask.

Additionally just as an FYI, each region supplies it's own awards for the
regional events.  So these awards can and will very from region to region.

MKS

This message was sent using MailMan
provided by Good News Internet Services
http://www.goodnews.net/