[RC] Story of riding 32 miles of drag at Californios Pt1 - Liz Masters

I was supposed to ride my Arabian, Dortel, at Californios but on the first day at Lost Padres he twisted his fetlock and got a nasty stone bruise on his left front leg. He?s an off the track Arabian and with an old bowed tendon, I don?t push him when I know he?s questionable. So, I needed another horse to ride. So, I volunteered to ride 32 miles of drag at the start of the Californios.

I?m used to tacking up Dortel who is a moving target and does nice airs above the ground as I stand by and watch my saddle pad slide off his butt. I tacked up my 14 hand tanky built (OK, fat) Shalimar Arab. Amigo. He stood perfectly, and I thought how nice, but he?s probably too fat to rear anyway. I have to have someone hold Dortel when I get on him at the start. Amigo stood nicely, even with the commotion of a loose horse and his trailer buddy leaving him. I?ve only ridden this horse a handful of times since I acquired him, since I have been dealing with saddle fit issues, a tooth issue, and he needed an adjustment to his back. But, Bobbie Lieberman told me all about this horse and assured me that he was a heck of an athlete and as sure footed as could be and he would be fine for 32 miles.

The Californios is a tough ride, I did the Californios Lite 50 on Dortel a few weeks before and knew what to expect. The trail traverses along the Pacific Crest Trail with spectacular views. It also has narrow trail with drop offs and I also have this long standing fear of falling.

I took off from camp about 30 minutes behind the group. About 3 miles from camp is water, so we stopped and Amigo drank like he had already gone 20 miles. I thought, ummm this is different since Dortel never drinks this early in a ride. (OH I didn?t give Amigo any e-lytes either) We rode about another 3 miles and hit water again, again Amigo drinks like a fish. Then we leave and start a beautiful section of trail along the side of a mountain. Amigo feels fresh but since I know he?s not in shape we walk the long hill and admire the views, the hawks flying around, and enjoy the cool air.

Everything is fine, and I find that there isn?t anything much more enjoyable than being on a good horse, alone on a beautiful trail and all the stress of work and home just disappears. UNTIL???. We are trotting along on a nice flat section of trail, when we come around a turn and 2 hikers are right in the middle of the trail. He hits the brakes and starts to?.. trot backwards. Now we are on the side of a cliff and after about 4 steps I swing off and catch his head so we don?t tumble down the hill. He gains his composure and I catch my breath. After passing the hikers I?m shaking and he?s eating weeds along the trail. So after a few minutes I get back on and we start moving out again. My first thought is I?m so glad I didn?t bring my big Arab. Belesemo Tango. (He stands 15.3 and weighs in at about 1100 lbs.) and is just not the most coordinated horse I own. He?s still young and needs to find his feet. I thought about him and I rolling down the mountain back to camp??Sorry Marge he spooked and we opted to take the quick way back to camp.

Continued.....