[RC] Story of riding 32 miles of drag at Californios Pt2 - Liz Masters

We finally make it to the first hold at 20 miles out. Thank you to Fred Beason for waiting for us, sorry we took so long. The riders are all gone but there?s food and water for Amigo, so we hang out for about 20 minutes. He drinks a ton of water and eats everything in sight.

We leave and head back down the PCT trail. I know this section well. There is a small creek that crosses the trail on a very nasty, drop off, rocky section. At the Californios Lite I had to get off and lead Dortel across it and he decided to leap it and landed on top of me knocking the wind out of me and bruising my ribs. Amigo and I make it to this section. I notice that there is still an indentation of my butt in the rocky/dirt cliff from when Dortel hit me. Amigo stops and drinks from the stream and crosses it fine. I?m ecstatic. Because, if I?d had brought Dortel we would still be there or we would have rolled back to camp the quick way and RO?d out of the ride.

We travel along this section of 12 miles and Amigo and I are happy together, I?m feeding him carrots and horse cookies and little handfuls of grain periodically. I trust him more with each stride. We get to this down hill section. It?s narrow but he just moves along and watches where he puts each foot. I hear the trail give out some under his feet and roll down the hill. We come to this nasty boggy section and I see some deep hoof prints where the prior horses sank pretty deep. It?s narrow and I have two hikers on the side of us. Amigo looks at them, and thinks about where he?s going to go. He puts one hoof in the mud and figures out what?s going on and just walks calmly across. Whew??.

The rest of the trail is narrow and it gets a little steep so I hop off and lead him down the mountain. He is eating weeds the entire way. I glance back at him and some of the weeds are as big as him.

We finished 32 miles in about 6 ½ hours. Bobbie Lieberman and Carl (sorry I forgot his last name) were waiting for us to take us back to camp. Carl?s horse Gypsy was pulled for a muscle cramp.

Amigo and I got back to camp. I gave him a quick bath and groomed him. His legs didn?t stock up, he wasn?t stiff, and he still hadn?t stop eating. Note to self: Bring more carrots next trip and if he ever goes on a multi-day ride bring an extra bale or two of hay. I think he put on more weight during and after this ride than when he started.

So, to some of you out there if you get a chance to ride drag, take the opportunity. You just might learn something new about your horse. And again thanks to Bobbie, Carl, Vern, Marge and Fred Beason . And to all of you out there with the all important question in your mind, NO, my little gelding will not be foaling any time soon.

Liz Masters and Shalimar Amigo (25 lbs of carrots, ½ bag of horse cookies, 3 apples, free fed hay, beet pulp, Complete Advantage and some Senior is just NOT quite enough food for a little boy)