Re: [RC] [RC] Ouch! So that's what a pull at the finish feels like! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Skyla temposmom@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would much rather pull, and know in my heart it was the right
and best thing to do, then finish and know I did not do justice by
my horse. How many would pull if they weren't worried about "how
it looks" or if it had no reflection on making them or their horse look somehow
inferior? Those who can graciously accept a pull,
wheather RO or vet, are to be admired. I look at it as a learning
experience. In the first few years of doing endurance, pulls were
a huge ego washout. People talk, but people talk anyway pulls or
no pulls. The most important thing now is keeping my horse safe,
happy, and healthy. After all, "I'm" the one that has to look him
in the eye, and I'm the one riding him. I have pulled Tempo a couple
of times where if my ego had ruled, we most likely would have
finished. HE came first, plus I didn't want to take any chances I
might have to give him time off. :oP  Not riding him would be far
more painful then any pull. Pulls aren't "fun", but if your buddy
is safe, and still with you, then there are FAR, FAR worse things
that could happen!

Karen Chaton, I really LOVED your comment on if riding faster shortened
the possible amount of time or rides you could of had, you would
have done things different. I never "looked" at it that way, but
you opened a new line of thought. I have always ran about 50/50
between top tenning and just completing. Gives me satisfaction in
both worlds that way. I have a friend who was deeply touched from
your aforementioned comment. I can see where this person may have
found a new way of looking at things too. Good job. :o)

Skyla and Tempo