[RC] the rough trotter - Ed Kilpatrick

lori,   thanks for pointing out to this bunch that you are not abusing your horse!  :-)   if i remember your question correctly, you asked what to do about the rough trotting.  you didnt ask at what age should this horse be started under saddle.     are the two questions related?   probably not.  many quarter horses have a rough trot and they have it all their lives.  thats why you see a lot of quarter horses being ridden at a walk and at a lope, not at a trot. we had a quarterhorse mare that our friends would fight over who HAD to ride her.  she was easy to ride and easy to handle, but SO rough.  her canter sure was nice though!   you may be stuck with a rough trot. what i would suggest is that you make sure when you are posting that your timing to the stride is real good.  with many rough trotters that i have ridden, i had to change the "hang time" just a bit. in other words stay up just a tad longer to get in synch.  besides quarter horses, the roughest trotting horses i have ridden have been those damn arabs.   cowboy ed